What is Herbal Medicine?
Herbal Medicine is the oldest form of medicine known. It has been used for centuries and in every country. There have been reported reference back to the use of herbal medicine from the Egyptians in the tombs buried with the great pharohs, and around the whole world in burial sites. Today herbal medicine is used with much greater understanding than ever before, by combining knowledge from our ancestors and todays advancements in science.
Herbal medicine is a natural way to health and well being using whole plant preparations grown and prepared in a way which is sensitive to ecological and environmental issues. It offers an effective alternative for managing a wide variety of complaints and illness. Conditions that respond well to herbal medicine treatment include:
· Digestive complaints e.g. indigestion, ulcers, IBS
· Skin issues- eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, bacterial/fungal/viral skin infections
· Arthritic conditions- arthritis, gout
· Respiratory conditions- asthma, bronchitis
· Hormonal conditions- premenstrual syndrome, menopause, infertility, thyroid related problems
· Allergic conditions-hayfever and asthma
· Stress, anxiety and depression
· Headaches and insomnia
· General feeling of unwellness and fatigue
· Circulatory conditions- varicose veins, poor circulation
· Urinary issues- cystitis and prostate - problems
· ME, chronic fatigue, post-viral syndrome, fibromyalgia
· Childhood complaints and illnesses
A Medical herbalist is a highly trained and skilled pracititioner and is able to prescribe herbal medication safely and appropriately for patients even in cases when a patient is already taking orthodox medicine, and know when to refer to a doctor or other professional.
The herbal consultation will last approximately 1 hour and will include a taking a full detailed medical case history covering present and historical medical issues, medication, lifestyle, diet and examination including blood pressure. The herbal prescription will be bespoke and individually designed, selected from a wide range of herbs in the herbal dispensary, it may include a tincture based prescritption, creams, oils and/tablets. Alongside this dietary, lifestyle and rehabilitation exercise advice may be given.
Herbal medicine offers a safe and effective approach to health care and aims to rebalance and restore the body to strengthen and repair the system overall. It is suitable for all, form the very young to the very old.
It is possible to sometimes to dispense over the counter medications, which do not require a full consultation, therefore it is always best to speak to Catherine prior to any consultation so that she can ensure you get the right level of help.